Casement windows swing open like doors and have long been a favourite of homeowners. They can be hung individually or as an opposing pair within a single frame. Casement windows are sometimes confused with awning windows which, unlike casements, open from the bottom and hoppers which pull open from the top. Casements can be seen on virtually every type of home in the Greater Toronto area from classic Victorians in Cabbagetown to ultra-chic odes to minimalist splendour in Rosedale. Below we’re going to take a short walk through the many advantages and benefits of window replacement using casement windows.
6 Reasons to Consider Casement Windows for your next Window Replacement Project
Casement windows. The very name has an air of sophistication and luxury about it. And that’s just one of the many positive aspects of this style of window replacement. Here are 6 more:
- Beauty: Before they’re anything else casement windows are just plain beautiful to behold. They can be classic or contemporary, add subtle charm or modern pizzazz, swing open or crank open and they let in the sunshine like nobody’s business. Frames are available in a variety of colours and can be mixed and matched to create a clean, elegant profile.
- An airtight seal: Almost no other type of window will seal up as tight as casement windows. When you pull your casement shut and turn the handle to the closed position you have the closest thing a homeowner can get to a vacuum seal. Virtually no air will leak in or out meaning the days of bundling up on the couch against drafts will be history.
- Energy efficiency: Where this type of window replacement really shines is when you purchase them with double pane insulated glass. Between the vacuum seal and the double panes of glass you’ll experience significant savings on your heating and air conditioning bills as compared to old wood framed single pane windows.
- Increased air flow: In the spring your casement windows will swing open completely allowing for a level of air flow you likely never experienced before. Casement windows have long been known for their ability to promote ventilation and new casement windows won’t let you down in that regard. If the breeze won’t come to you they’ll reach out and catch it, redirecting it into the house and clearing out the mustiness of winter.
- Easy maintenance: If you’ve ever spent hours trying to get into the upper corners on the outside of standard windows you’ll raise your hands in celebration at how easy casement windows are to clean. No more struggling. No more having to hire window cleaning services to reach the outside of those attic windows on the 3rd floor. And if you have casement windows that open inward cleaning is absurdly simple.
- Durability: Because there are very few moving parts on a casement window and no need for them to slide up and down on tracks there are fewer things to go wrong than with some other types of windows. This is true whether yours swing open or crank open. A number of factors will play into how long your new vinyl casement windows will last but if you take proper care of them their lifespan will be measured in decades not years.
Toronto Doors and Windows are GTA’s go-to source for quality vinyl and aluminum window replacement. With more than 15 years of experience we’re experts in the field and will match you up with new replacement windows that will make your house shine while providing substantial energy savings, enhanced function and market value. Call us today to find out more.