People replace their old windows for a lot of reasons, most of which fall into 2 categories: aesthetic and energy-related. Both of these are easy to understand and make a ton of sense. New replacement windows will, after all, elevate the curb value of your home which in turn adds bottom line value to your property. And when you install new replacement windows from Toronto Doors and Windows you’ll also see significant reductions in your energy bills as heat is kept inside the house where it belongs. But there are 2 additional, less obvious but equally important reasons for replacing your old windows and getting a new window installation: privacy and security.
The Unheralded Benefits of New Window Installation
When you opt for a new window installation you can expect that your home is going to look better and be more energy efficient. But new windows will also help secure your home from both intruders and prying eyes and here’s how.
- Burglars and wooden window frames: There’s nothing (short of an unlocked door) that a burglar is happier to see than old, rotting wooden windows and frames. All it takes is a screwdriver or crowbar to pop the window open and gain entry. With new replacement windows there won’t be any soft points for a burglar to exploit.
- Old single pane windows are an invitation: Soft spots in the window frame aren’t the only way an experienced burglar can gain entry. Old, single pane windows lay out the welcome mat by providing almost no resistance. The burglar doesn’t need to break out the whole window, only enough to reach in and undo the locking mechanism.
- Antiquated locking mechanism: Old wooden windows typically have a simple rotating-style lock. Sometimes homeowners will install bolt locks as well, but once the window is compromised these types of locks aren’t much good. Your new window installation can include key or code activated locks that will provide a wall of security burglars won’t be able to breach.
Privacy and Security Add-on Solutions
In addition to the enhanced security profile new windows will provide your home there are add-ons available that will ramp up the security to an even greater degree and provide an added level of privacy as well. These include:
- Security films: Translucent security films are affixed to the inside of your windowpanes and will transform your windows from one of the most vulnerable points in the home to one of the most secure. When included as an add-on with a new window installation your home will enjoy previously unimagined levels of security.
- Coloured films: You can add a splash of colour or make your windowpanes opaque by installing decorative films as part of your replacement window project. They’re inexpensive, easy to install and will provide an enhanced level of privacy from prying eyes.
- Reflective films: You can really ramp up the privacy by installing dual reflective films on your brand new windows. Reflective films are just that; reflective. They’ll essentially turn the outside of your windows into mirrors while still allowing you to easily see out from inside.
When you decide to install new windows on your house you’ll have a variety of aesthetic options to choose from. You can also expect that the new windows will increase your home’s market value and provide significant savings on your energy bills. But don’t forget that installing new windows can provide an opportunity to enhance both the security and privacy of your home as well. Talk to the professionals at Toronto Doors and Windows to find out more about the many safety and privacy benefits of a new window installation.