There’s no shortage of websites and articles created by DIYers pleading with you to repair your old windows instead of replacing them. While everyone is entitled to their opinion the fact is that in the majority of cases when it comes down to repair or replace, replacement windows are the better choice. Perhaps the only time you should consider trying to resuscitate old, broken down windows is if your Toronto home is of historic significance. Short of that, replacement is typically the smart, cost-effective choice and we’ll tell you why.
Six Signs You Need to Consider Replacement Windows
There comes a time in nearly every homeowner’s life when they’ll be faced with the repair or replace dilemma. Here are six such circumstances:
- Your Heating bills have gone through the roof – If you’re sitting at the kitchen table staring in disbelief at January’s heating bill and you’re wearing a sweater to defend against the drafts coursing through the house: you can no longer afford to ignore the window problem.
- Let’s talk about that sweater – You wear a sweater in your home not because you’re trying to make a fashion statement with the pizza delivery guy but because you simply can’t crank the heat high enough to compensate for the cold air rushing in around the rotten casements. Time to take a long, hard look at the windows and decide whether to repair or replace.
- Your windows are rattling in the wind – You’re trying to talk to your friend on the phone but the rattling of the windows is drowning out their voice. When the rattling began a couple of years ago you thought it added character to the house, now you know that each rattle is costing your money and it’s time to consider repairing or replacing the windows.
- Your curtains take on a life of their own – If you’re sitting on the sofa trying to enjoy a movie and you notice the curtains bulging and fluttering there’s a better than even chance it’s not ghosts. Every time a burst of fresh, cold air pushes back the curtains, warm air you paid to heat is escaping the house to make room. Time to consider replacement windows.
- Your windows are nearly impossible to open or close – If your windows are sticking, catching and generally refusing to budge there’s more going on than just humidity. What happens if you need to open a window in an emergency? Time to discuss repairing or replacing them.
- You can clearly hear conversations of people in the yard – If you’re relaxing at your kitchen table and can overhear every word your kids are saying in the yard through the closed windows, it’s a clear sign that you need to consider either repairing or replacing them.
In all of these cases replacing the old windows will yield increased energy savings, enhanced curb appeal and increased market value for your home. Breaking out the screwdrivers, caulk, putty knives and window insulation kits instead will do little but kick the can of replacement responsibility down the road a bit or into the lap of the next owner. In the meantime you’ll continue to experience higher energy bills and lower home value than you would if you opted for replacement windows.
When it’s time to replace your leaky old windows with new, energy efficient, double-pane aluminum or vinyl windows call the experts at Toronto Doors and Windows. You can rest easy knowing that the GTA’s most trusted and experienced replacement windows company is on the job. In just a matter of days we’ll breathe new life into your beloved home and set it on a sustainable course for the coming years.