Although increased curb appeal is among the most commonly cited reasons for Toronto property owners to have replacement windows fitted, there is another reason that may be less talked about but is equally, if not more, important: energy efficiency. Simply put, installing high quality modern window units could lead to a warmer environment in your home next winter. If you want to know how new windows can have such a big effect on the temperature of the air in your home, take a look at the factors discussed below.
The Factors That Make Modern Window Replacement Units More Energy Efficient
Below, we have listed the properties of modern replacement window units that make them more energy efficient than their predecessors.
- Superior Insulating Properties – As long as you buy replacement window units with an energy star rating, you can be sure that they have excellent insulating properties and will therefore help to prevent warm air from escaping into the outside during the winter months.
- Resistance to Humidity – If your home currently has conventional timber-framed windows fitted, these frames will expand and contract as the water content in the Toronto air increases and decreases throughout the course of each year. This expansion and contraction inevitably leads to warping, which can leave gaps in between the frame and the wall in which it is installed, or between the panes of glass in the window and the frame. In either case, warm air will escape through the resulting gaps.
- Less Radiant Heat Transfer – The Low-E window replacement units available today restrict radiant heat transfer through the glass panels, which means more warmth is retained in your home. How efficient your new windows are in this respect will be determined by the materials used and the particular specifications followed by the manufacturer so it is a good idea to ask for further details if this is an important quality to you. Most Low-E glass has an invisible coating of metal oxide that allows light and heat in but makes it much harder for heat to travel in the opposite direction.
- No Rotting – Traditional wooden frames are prone to rotting, especially if they are not meticulously maintained. When the frames start to rot they leave gaps through which the heated air in your home can escape during the wintertime. If you decide to purchase high quality vinyl window replacement units, rotting is not something you will ever have to worry about again.
- Professional Fitting – Unless you decide to attempt the job yourself, the new windows you purchase in Toronto will be fitted by professional glaziers with many years of experience. While your original windows may well have been fitted by professionals as well, technology has moved on in the last few years so you can look forward to a snugger fit this time around. A better fit, as you can probably already guess, means less warm air escaping from your window replacement units next winter, and every winter from now until you eventually have them replaced.
If you are considering replacing the windows in your property in the near future, please do not hesitate to call the team at Toronto Doors and Windows to request a detailed quotation. We supply and fit high quality doors and windows across the GTA, at very competitive prices. Whatever type of window replacement units you require, we can provide you with a free estimate covering all your requirements in full. We carry a wide range of great looking windows, have one of the best installation teams in the country, and provide an after-sales service that is second to none.