Today’s vinyl window is a mainstay of the contemporary home renovation scene. Durable, attractive and surprisingly affordable they can be found on homes new and old from coast to coast. But it wasn’t always so as the This Old House website points out in a recent post.
They used to be a low-maintenance default when it came time to replace leaky or rotting wood double-hungs. But, over time, white vinyl could yellow, colored vinyl wash out, and the material itself split or crack in extreme temperatures. Times have changed. The vinyl window … comes in no-fade colors and faux-grain finishes that weather well in any climate. And its sturdy construction and insulated glass meet Energy Star criteria.
And speaking of sturdy construction:
The best vinyl has additives that protect against brittleness, yellowing, or fading. Sash and frame extrusions should have welded corners and numerous internal air chambers for strength, rigidity, and insulation.
This Old House is right to sing the praises of today’s vinyl windows because they really are marvels of modern technology and light years ahead of their progenitors from the 70s and 80s. Today’s vinyl replacement windows provide:
- Improved Energy Efficiency – Today’s vinyl replacement windows come with thicker frames than their predecessors which helps improve their energy saving abilities and almost completely eliminate air leaks. The improved structural integrity of today’s windows means savings of 10 – 20% or more on your energy bills over older vinyl windows.
- Ease of Installation – Today’s vinyl replacement windows come pre-assembled. They’re ready to be installed so they can get to work saving you money. Where older windows could take weeks of onsite fabrication all of your new vinyl replacement windows should be ready to go in just a few days.
- Low Maintenance – Once your windows have been installed, your maintenance will amount to little more than wiping them down on occasion to remove dirt and dust. No painting, no sealing up cracks and crevices, no oiling squeaky hinges. Just install them and forget about them.
- Choice – Today’s vinyl window styles include Awning, Bay, Double-hung, Casement, Single-hung, Sliding, Fixed, Transcom and more. If you can’t find a vinyl window style to fit your home, you’re probably not looking hard enough.
- Colour Fast Construction – Unlike their ancestors from 20 or 30 years ago, today’s vinyl windows never need painting or staining of any kind. They’ll hold their colour for the duration of their useful life, which could be decades.
- Affordability – While vinyl replacement windows don’t qualify as “cheap,” if you step back and take the long view, you’ll better understand just how affordable they are. Your costs amount to the one-time purchase and installation of the windows and that’s it. Pro-rate that cost over the 30 years or so you’ll have the windows and you can see what a deal they actually are.
- Warranty – The top rated windows from the best manufacturers today will often come with a lifetime warranty. Some will offer double lifetime warranties. Double lifetime warranties are often transferable to new owners and so become major selling points when the time comes to part with your home.
Vinyl Windows Lead the Way in the GTA
Today’s vinyl windows represent the apex of modern home technology and will provide you with decades of trouble free service. Don’t waste your time and money trying to get one more year out of your leaky, hard to maintain wooden windows, or one more winter night taping up holes in the plastic of your window insulation kits. Install new vinyl replacement windows today and watch your energy bills fall and your home value rise.
Not Convinced? Give Us a Call to Find Out More!
If you’re considering vinyl replacement windows for your Toronto home, give us a call on 647-932-3667 to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable window experts. We’re Toronto Doors and Windows. We’ve been helping homeowners in the GTA save on energy while adding curb appeal and resale value to their homes for more than 15 years. We can do the same for you.