While the DIY movement is laudable in many regards there are times and circumstances when the impulse to do it yourself at all cost should probably take a back seat to caution. Window installation is one of those times and there are a lot of reasons why that we’ll get into below. Before we begin though you might want ask yourself the following questions if you’re contemplating installing your own replacement windows.
- Do you have any knowledge of house framing?
- Do you know anything about siding?
- Do you know the difference between a jamb and an apron?
- Are you familiar with local building codes?
If you answered “no” to these questions you’ll likely want to enlist the help of a qualified window installation professional. Otherwise you could wind up not only installing the windows improperly but damaging your home and voiding the warranty in the process.
4 Good Reasons to Hire Pros for your Window Installation
The knowledge and experience necessary to install new replacement windows on your Toronto home far outstrips the knowledge necessary to say, replace tiles on your kitchen counter backstop. Windows are essential elements of the home’s environmental, security and value profiles. Mucking up the installation can have far reaching implications. Here are 4 reasons why you should never install windows yourself.
- Time: A professional can typically install 1 replacement window per hour. Chances are it might take even a talented DIYer a half day or more to get the window installed properly. During that time the house is wide open to the elements. Multiply 4 or 5 hours by the number of windows in your home and you have an idea why people prefer to have pros do it. On top of that, if you have a multi-storey home it will likely take you the better part of a day to install a second or third floor window properly.
- Experience: There’s simply no substitute for knowing what to do when things hit a snag. Maybe the framing is not configured the way you expected or the exterior siding shears off unexpectedly or the new window simply doesn’t want to square up the way the other windows did. Experienced window installation pros have seen it all so when a bump in the road occurs they’re ready.
- Coverage: Let’s say a DIYer is installing a replacement window on the second floor and suddenly they lose their grip. The window goes crashing to the ground not only breaking into pieces but injuring a person who was standing below watching. In that most unfortunate of circumstances the DIYer will be wholly responsible from both a financial and legal standpoint. Having a pro install your windows shifts responsibility to the installer who will be fully covered in case of just such occurrences.
- Warranty: While most warranties won’t specify that you must use a professional installer they will specify that if the job is not done to code and to the manufacturer’s exact specifications that the warranty is void. Realistically, who do you think has the better chance of bringing the project to completion in a way that will satisfy both local building codes and those manufacturer’s specs? If you said the professional you’re absolutely right.
Toronto Doors and Windows are the company to call for all your door and window needs. From sales and installation to repair and maintenance we do it all and we do it for a price that won’t cause sticker shock. If you’re contemplating a replacement window installation for your home give us a call on 647-932-3667 and discover for yourself the difference experience makes.