Things are looking up for the residential windows and doors market in the coming year. Industry insiders predict growth in demand of some 10% over 2015. This marks in many ways the culmination of the rebound from the dark days of the recent past when difficulties in the housing market caused window and door demand to bottom out. So now that the market has returned to robust health what trends can we expect to see in 2016?
Trends to Look for in Windows and Doors for 2016
As we head into the new year let’s take the pulse of the windows and doors industry to find out which features and styles will be trending upward in ‘16.
- Fiberglass and vinyl increase their market share – Sales of vinyl windows and fiberglass doors are expected to grow at a healthy rate during the coming year as they continue to push other materials into the ‘also ran’ column. Vinyl windows are now the overwhelming choice of Toronto homeowners who are also discovering the many aesthetic and practical advantages of fiberglass doors.
- Uncommon window choices – Uncommon window styles have begun to make inroads among homeowners lately and will likely find more followers in 2016. This includes increased sales of large sliding and casement windows as well as an uptick in the sale of awning windows. Homeowners have taken to cranking open their windows and have also discovered how these uncommon styles can aid in home ventilation efforts.
- Metal doors make gains – Like fiberglass doors, metal doors are also expected to make gains in 2016. Steel doors are second to none when it comes to enhancing home security and today’s steel doors have become virtually indistinguishable from their wooden counterparts. This combination of beauty and high-level security is driving the ever increasing trend toward metal entry doors.
- The emergence of color – The overwhelming majority of replacement windows sold will continue to be white, since it goes with virtually any home color scheme. But in 2016 an increasing number of adventurous homeowners will buck the prevailing winds by choosing other colors for their replacement windows. To be honest, it’s a bit surprising this trend has taken so long to take hold but the world will only be a more beautiful place now that it has.
- Wood continues to slide – The trend toward durability and value means that as fiberglass, vinyl and metal continue to gain market share they will do so at the expense of wood. While this development may not make some purists happy it is likely to brighten the day of conservationists and others who appreciate a living tree’s ability to absorb CO2 and prevent it from reaching the upper atmosphere where it can create environmental mischief.
- Bonus trend: Colorful entry doors – Lots of folks are taking a shine to the idea of making a color statement with their entry doors. It’s hard to know exactly where and when this trend took root but it’s expected to blossom in 2016 with all manner of obscure but intoxicating custom-mixed colors finding their way onto the front doors of homes from coast to coast.
2016 is shaping up to be a banner year in the windows and doors industry with homeowners seeking more diverse and compelling styles and colors while at the same time demanding ever more environmentally friendly, durable materials. At Toronto Doors and Windows we look forward to serving the needs of our clients in the coming year with our own growing line of highest-quality windows and doors. Call us on 647-932-3667 and talk to one of our specialists about how you can take advantage of the latest advances in window and door technology.